Tuesday, June 7, 2011

07.06.11 California Diner - 'Quirky Rock!'

Well, everybody knows that I love my music just a little bit different, except when I don't! In other words, I'll take my rock straight up, but with a twist!
On this week's California Diner, I feature three tracks that I've never before played on the show, and boy, are they different! And that's a good thing.
EyeWood, a band that hails from Sweden, sound more American than Scandinavian. I'm not complaining. They just released a high-powered song about a high-powered lawyer—and lyrically, pretty much nailed the sleazy stereotype. The music moves like a '77 Camaro at 2:00 a.m. on the Hollywood Freeway. This song is quite a workout. By the time this is done, you're ready to take off your pinstripe suit, put on your smoking jacket, and grab a martini. You'll just have to hear what I mean. Well done, guys!
www.myspace.com/eyewoodrocks
Mad Mush is a London-based band that, in their own words, have “the spirituality that The Clash lacked, and the punk rock that U2 lacked, and a bunch of songs that would have made it onto both London Calling and Joshua Tree”. They also describe their sound as “bittersweet riot-pop”. The track we're going to feature this week absolutely had me jumping, heart racing, the whole bit. In and out in 2:15, like a roaring fast, zooming ride at your favorite theme park, but without all the long lines that you usually have to suffer through. You'll love it, and probably wish I played it twice!
www.myspace.com/madmush/music
Lastly, I couldn't resist introducing a 10 year old track into our quirky mix. Sexfresh was a band that featured the strong singing and songwriting talents of Emily Zuzik and Ben Ratliff, who came together in San Francisco to produce an absolutely sublime album called Vacancy. Anybody who self-describes their sound as “alternative/folk rock/surf” has got my vote! I've played their music before, but I'm debuting one of their more unusual tracks this week. Picture surf meets mariachi meets Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone soundtrack, with bleak lyrical content. Ben takes lead vocals on this one, and it's absolutely mesmerizing!
www.myspace.com/sexfresh
I'm sure some of the other tunes we're featuring could be considered quirky. But these three tracks are standouts.
If you'd like to make a request, just drop me a line at mike(at)rechargedradio.com. If you'd like to become an honorary California citizen, drop me a line at the same address. And if you'd like to hear all this great music—simply tune in to the California Diner, Tuesday night, 8:00-10:00 p.m. (GMT), 12:00-2:00 p.m. Pacific, only at Recharged Radio—www.rechargedradio.com.

This note also appears in the News section on the home page of RechargedRadio.com.
See you then!
Chef Mike
mike(at)rechargedradio.com
MN2BDNC

Sexfresh – Love Ration
Mad Mush - Silent Snowfall
Debora Iyall - Be My Last
Sound Sessions - Be My Shaper
Kaz Murphy - Below The Skin
Katelyn Berreth - The Reason I Am Lonely Cha Cha Cha
Cult of Wedge - Uprising
Mad Tea Party - Found A Reason
Roms - Cant Stop the Sound
Nushu - Another Rainy Weekend
Twyman/Baird - Repeat Of Tomorrow
Rose Reiter - Where You Are
Joey Oskys - In This Town
Maxi Dunn - Seattle In The Sun
Kamp David - Red Hotel
Nelson Bragg - Forever Days
Duncan Faure - Nightfall
Sarah Stanley - Not Gonna Leave
Skarlett Riot - Take It All
Dave Stephens - You Are Mine, I Am Yours
Imani Hekima - Nothing's What It Seems
Laurie Larson - Endless Thank You Loop
Tom Alford - Shiloh
Last Breath - Drive All Night
Isaac's Aircraft - My Baby Did Me Wrong
Lindy LaFontaine (with KYRO) - Harmonics
Rob One - Flames
Laurie Biagini - A Face In The Crowd
EyeWood - Lawyers and Liars
Little Guilt Shrine - One Two
Wim Oudijk - Love You. Period!

No comments:

Post a Comment