Wednesday, February 2, 2011

01.02.11 California Diner - 'February Already!'

Seriously! February already? Wasn't it just New Year's? Oh heck, wasn't it just 2000? Time goes by too fast.
So here we are. Midwinter. The doldrums. The blahs. The blues. Buried under 3 feet of snow, and subzero temperatures.
Okay, full disclosure. Not me. Somebody is, but not me. I'm here in Sacramento, California. The only thing I'm buried under is some morning fog, but that usually turns into brilliant, cool, sunny afternoons. We've got lots of lemon and orange trees fairly well bursting with their brightly-colored fruit.
Are you still with me, or are you looking for something to smack me with? Okay, since I don't get too much crummy weather around here, I guess it's my responsibility to cheer you up. And I've brought along more than 30 songs to do just that!
Here's what cheers me up at the moment:
If you've known me for any length of time, you'll realize that my favorite era of music is late 1980's-early 1990's alternative music, and Sound Sessions from Leeds, UK nail that sound perfectly. We'll check out one of their new tracks this week.
Jeff Heiskell, former Judybats frontman (speaking of great early 1990's alternative, there you go) has a thriving solo career. He's based in Knoxville, Tennessee. I interviewed him on Twirl Radio a few years ago, and to this day, that 30 minute chat is still one of the most fun interviews I've done. Some of his songwriting hits complex, intense subject matter, but his over the top sense of humor balances it all out.
Sacramento-area chanteuse Ricky Berger is a delightful singer-songwriter who plays something like a dozen or so different instruments, and is not afraid to use them in her live gigs. Her songs are both cute and meaningful, and will undoubtedly charm you and inspire you to snap your fingers and tap your toes.
Sending you peace, love, and sunshine from California! Oh yeah, good vibes and lots of music too!
If you'd like to make a request, just drop me a line at mike(at)rechargedradio.com. If you'd like to become an honorary California citizen, drop me a line at the same address. And if you'd like to hear all this great music—simply tune in to the California Diner, Tuesday night, 8:00-10:00 p.m. (GMT), 12:00-2:00 p.m. Pacific, only at Recharged Radio—www.rechargedradio.com.



This note also appears in the News section on the home page of RechargedRadio.com.
See you then!
Chef Mike
mike(at)rechargedradio.com
MN2BDNC


Maxi Dunn – How Was I To Know?
Allen - Black Widow
Sound Sessions - Be My Shaper
Sexfresh - Dilemma
Maple Mars - Big Imagination
Auditorium - I'm the Enforcer
Soundserif - Brian Adams
Boomchick - TGTW
Sweet Sweet Concorde - Armadillo Man
Allyson Seconds - Dig My Pig
Heiskell - The Death of Knoxville Cool
Baby Scream - Lazy
Nathan Brooks - Change
Nushu - So Long (Maybe)
Bill Mumy - Heartfull
Karim Fanous - Perfume
The Shindig Addicts - Not Long Now
Miami Dan and the Hayes Street Band - Star Of The Beach
Kat Jones - The Night Is A Veil
The Taters - Such A Good Day
Fake Teak - Church of Steve Honest session - Post Office Tower
Cy Taggart - Cut It Out
Debora Iyall - Stay Strong
Mad Tea Party - Blues Slip In
Laurie Biagini - Crazy People on the internet
Laurie Larson - Corporate Chew Toy
Michael Miller - I Made You Up
Rich McCulley - Tell Me, I'm Listening
The Big I Am - Hole
Joseph Swidenbank - What Did You Want?
Ricky Berger - Silly Boy, Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment