Tuesday, December 6, 2011

06.12.11 California Diner - 'Dive into December!'

Well here it is, the last month of the year. This is the first California Diner show of December, and we commemorate this holiday month with some great new music, and some new artist discoveries. I have a Facebook friend named Mike Braam, from the Chicago-based band Braam, who recently read my blog about Christmas music. I had said that I’m not really big on holiday music, but there’s a special place in my heart for original, indie holiday music that doesn’t sound like all the rest. So what did he do? He sent me an original, indie holiday music track by he and his brothers, that doesn’t sound like all the rest! Wait--not so fast, Chef Mike! You pride yourself on discovering new music, yet it says on Braam’s ReverbNation page that they’ve been around for over 10 years? Admittedly, I’m a little late to the Braam party, but look at it from my point of view. 10 years ago, there wasn’t really much in the way of internet radio. It was a niche for geeks--who could have imagined actually sitting around in front of a computer, listening to the radio, when you could just listen to radio on, well, the radio? In those days, Braam would have been a local Chicago band, and I would have been a local Sacramento DJ, and never would we have heard of each other. But now, the internet makes all possible. I’m in Sacramento, playing a Chicago band on a London radio station. Braam’s sound is what I might call “sweet alternative”. Rock and roll with real instruments--soul-searing melodies, thoughtful lyrics, and great haunting vocals. They’ve shared stages with the likes of Bettie Serveert, Shoes, Teenage Fanclub, and Webb Wilder--sounds like my record collection! We’ll hear that Christmas song this week. And lots of other Braam songs in the weeks to come. www.reverbnation.com/braam Ben Swidenbank is a London-based musician. You might recognize his name--at least part of it--he plays bass in his brother Joe Swidenbank’s band. Joe’s been a fixture here on the Diner for a couple of years now, and now Ben takes a turn in the spotlight. Not only has he played with Joe, but he’s a working musician, having played in bands that have supported the likes of The Who, The Undertones, The Buzzcocks and more. And as most creative musicians do, he recently got the bug to create his own music. I just got my hands on a compilation album called Uncovered. It was released by Aspire Music Management, and Ben’s first single, Girl (Leave That Animal Tonight) appears on it. What a great track--a bit quirky, with incisive lyrics. Picture vintage Joe Jackson, minus the piano, but driven by upbeat, acoustic guitar. If you’re anything like me, this one will stick with you. I’ve listened to it about 4-5 times in a row, and am still enthralled! http://aspiremusicmanagement.co.uk/benswidenbank.aspx If you'd like to make a request, just drop me a line at mike(at)rechargedradio.com. If you'd like to become an honorary California citizen, drop me a line at the same address. And if you'd like to hear all this great music—simply tune in to the California Diner, Tuesday night, 8:00-10:00 p.m. (GMT), 12:00-2:00 p.m. Pacific, only at Recharged Radio—www.rechargedradio.com. See you then! Chef Mike mike(at)rechargedradio.com MN2BDNC Debora Iyall - Be My Last Ben Swidenbank - Girl (Leave That Animal Tonight) Melissa Phillips - So Young Lost Left - Thank You For The Lung Dave Stephens - You Are Mine, I Am Yours Vinnie Zummo - Homicidal Baby Scream - Secret Place Duncan Faure - In The Right Place Braam - Sad Xmas Agony Aunts - Linus's Fists Of Death Tom Alford - Shiloh Vegas With Randolph - She Does It For Me Weird Shapes - Blue Sky at Night Nushu - Your Girl Dennis Holseybrook - Take Care My Friend Blake Jones and Tom Magill - Life Turns On A Dime Maxi Dunn - You're All I Need At Christmas Little Guilt Shrine - One Two Colin Heppell - Poltergeist In High Heels Onward Chariots - War Hero Karim Fanous - So Long Jenny J Laurie Biagini - A Face In The Crowd Lindy LaFontaine (with Kyro) - Haunted Joe Symes - One Too Many Peter Daltrey and Damien Youth - Blue Girl Eyes Cult Of Wedge - Technology Cull Don Scannell - Mystery Lannie Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment