Tuesday, October 18, 2011

18.10.11 California Diner - 'Blake Jones and the Trike Shop Interview!'

It’s finally here--the moment we’ve been waiting for. I’ve been playing the music of the Fresno, California “mad pop” band Blake Jones and the Trike Shop for about a year and a half. And this week, I finally met them in person! One day, back in 2010, I was at my radio studio in Sacramento, and I received a mysterious package from our sister city to the south, Fresno. I opened it up, and there was a disc inside called “The Underground Garden”. There was also a nice handwritten note from a guy named Blake Jones, hoping that I would like the music within. Being crafty, I quickly reasoned that this Blake Jones must be the same guy whose name is part of the band name! (I’m smart that way.) I popped the disc in the CD player, and whoa! Sure, I liked it. But I also loved it, and the wonderful palette of sounds--both the musicianship, and the raw pop harmonies. I realized that the Underground Garden of the title was the legendary Forestiere Gardens (www.undergroundgardens.com/summary.html), an elusive Fresno landmark. Go to the website for more info, but Blake tells us that the Gardens, with all their action happening underground, is an apt metaphor for the Fresno music scene. I am a huge fanatic for this kind of thing, so I was hooked. The rest of the album charms and entertains. It’s sometimes quirky, sometimes shimmery, and sometimes straight up power pop. It features jangly guitars, classic vocal harmonies, and the occasional theremin thrown in to keep you slightly unbalanced. Another standout track, “Sun Up”, makes you think of all that is good about spring and summer. Kids and adults out on the streets. Scooters. Bicycles. Ice cream. Fireworks. The sprinklers going. The band also has a Liverpool connection--they’d been invited to play the IPO festival not once but twice--a huge honor. And to help finance their most recent trip, they did a campaign and gave their donors a pretty neat little EP called “Everybody’s Unplugged Except Martin”, the bass player. It was a chance to hear the band, who are friends first, make some great music in the same room, in mostly one take. Live, immediate, D.I.Y. The way we like it. So Blake and I are conspiring to bring great music to great listeners. We’ve got big plans for you and your eardrums! They join me in studio, and we’ll get the chance to meet him, John, Martin, and Scott for some great chat and music. We’ll learn about their musical influences, aspirations, and I dared to ask them the key question: where did the band’s name come from. And I got not the answer I was expecting, but the answer I deserved! So give these guys a listen. Blake Jones and the Trike Shop will leave you smiling and singing along. www.blakejonesmusic.com If you'd like to make a request, just drop me a line at mike(at)rechargedradio.com. If you'd like to become an honorary California citizen, drop me a line at the same address. And if you'd like to hear all this great music—simply tune in to the California Diner, Tuesday night, 8:00-10:00 p.m. (GMT), 12:00-2:00 p.m. Pacific, only at Recharged Radio—www.rechargedradio.com. This note also appears in the News section on the home page of RechargedRadio.com. See you then! Chef Mike mike(at)rechargedradio.com MN2BDNC Sparklejet - The Comeback The Handcuffs - Baby I Love You Fortune Dwellers - Al's Song Cave Country - Huffrag Chad Neaves - Something In My Soul Wim Oudijk - Spirit Blake Jones and the Trike Shop Interview Blake Jones and the Trike Shop - Forestiere Gardens Blake Jones and the Trike Shop - I Roped The Moon Out Of The Sky Blake Jones and the Trike Shop - Jingle Blake Jones and the Trike Shop - Who’s Got A Light The Taters - Required By Love Debora Iyall - Be My Last Skip Heller & Jim Cavender - I Hate You Mad Mush - Silent Snowfall Maxi Dunn - Firecracker V Mr Flash Rocket Michael Miller - Carolina Skyline Vegas With Randolph - Above The Blue Laurie Biagini - My Little SUV In Between Echoes - Breeze On By Jerzey Street Band - Pale Blue River Lindy LaFontaine - I Might Not Love You Edwardo - Another Song Vinnie Zummo - Homicidal Corner Laughers - You Two Are The Ones Dennis Holseybrook - Take Care My Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment